Chicago lawyer Todd A. Smith is a founding partner of Smith LaCien LLP, a leading personal injury law firm whose lawyers regularly confront corporations, insurance companies, hospitals, and government agencies on behalf of the everyday people who have suffered catastrophic injuries or wrongful death. The firm has achieved more than $2.5 billion in settlements and verdicts, and attained more than 100 settlements and verdicts that exceed $1 million.
Smith LaCien was ranked in the October-November 2022 issue of Chicago Lawyer as the number-one firm in mass tort/litigation for a $42 million settlement and was also listed in the magazine as among the top 10 personal injury firms for the total amount of recoveries. Compiled by the Jury Verdict Reporter, the results were from its reporting cycle between August 1, 2021 – July 31, 2022.
Todd has repeatedly been listed at or near the top of the annual Chicago Lawyer magazine survey of multimillion-dollar personal injury settlements, including one with a $70 million in recovery for his client.
A founding partner of Power Rogers & Smith, P.C., in 1993, he left the firm to start Smith LaCien LLP with Brian LaCien in March 2020.
Todd’s extensive bar leadership includes serving as president of several bar associations. He has won numerous awards for his overall success, professionalism and altruism. Todd has been featured in national, local and legal publications including the New York Times, USA Today, Chicago magazine, Chicago Tribune, Crain’s Chicago Business, Chicago Lawyer magazine, and Chicago Daily Law Bulletin. To read a cover feature about Todd Smith, visit Leading Lawyers magazine.
For a free consultation, call Smith LaCien at (312) 509-8900 or send an email to: email@example.com. Smith LaCien LLP is located at 70 W. Madison, Suite 2250, Chicago, IL 60602.
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now American Association for Justice), Past President
- Illinois State Bar Association, Past President
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Past President
- American College of Trial Lawyers (preeminent members of the Trial bar)
- International Society of Barristers (elected member)
- Inner Circle of Advocates (100 Best Plaintiff’s Lawyers in America)
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, elected board member
- Lawdragon Hall of Fame, 2022
- Board member, International Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2022
- Named by the Supreme Court of Illinois as chair of the Evidence Committee, 2021.
- Lawdragon Top 500 Leading Lawyers in America, 2021
- Listed by Illinois SuperLawyers as the Number 2 top-rated Illinois lawyer in its 2021 edition – covering all practice areas. He has been on the Illinois Super Lawyers list since its inception in 2005 and is regularly ranked in the Top 10.
- The Best Lawyers in America since 1997
- AAJ’s Leonard Ring Champion of Justice Award, 2015
- Illinois State Bar Association’s “Distinguished Award for Excellence, 2015
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- Mass Tort Lawyer of the Year, 2011
- Lifetime Achievement Award, American Association of Justice, 2009
- Member, Inner Circle of Advocates, 2005
- Member, International Society of Barristers, 1996